UPPSC Syllabus and Exam pattern - PCS Syllabus
UPPSC (Uttar Pradesh Public Service Commission) is a state service Examination held by Uttar Pradesh Government. UPPSC recruits Group A and Group B officers from this Recruitment.
UPPSC Syllabus and Exam pattern is consist of three stages.
- Personality round
From 2018 , UPPSC changed its Exam pattern.
UPPSC Exam Pattern
- Preliminary Examination
- Main Examination
UPPSC Exam - Marks Allotment
|Name of Exam||Exam Type/Subjects||Marks Allotment|
|UPPSC Preliminary Examination||Paper 1: General Studies||200 Marks|
|Paper 2: CSAT||200 Marks|
|Optional 1||200 Marks|
|Optional 2||200 Marks|
|General Studies I||200 Marks|
|General Studies II||200 Marks|
|General Studies III||200 Marks|
|General Studies IV||200 Marks|
|Interview||Personality Test||100 Marks|
UPPSC Prelims Exam Pattern
|Name of the Exam||UPPSC Preliminary Examination|
|Number of Papers|
|Negative Marking||There is 0.33% of negative marking.|
|Nature of Exam|
UPPSC Mains Exam Pattern
|Name of the Exam||UPPSC Mains Examination|
|Number of Papers|
|Negative Marking||There is 0.33% of negative marking.|
|Nature of Exam|
UPPSC Prelims Syllabus
- Current events of National & International importance
- Indian History and National Movement
- Indian and World Geography – Socio-economic, Physical geography
- Indian Governance and Polity – Political System, Constitution, Public Policy, Panchayati Raj, Rights issues, etc.
- Social and Economic Development – Demographics, Sustainable Development, Poverty Inclusion, Social Sector initiatives etc.
- Environmental Ecology, Climate Change, and Biodiversity – general issues that do not require subject specialization
- General Science.
Note: Candidates are expected to have a general awareness of the above subjects with special reference to Uttar Pradesh.
Paper 2 (CSAT)
- Interpersonal skills including communication skills.
- Logical reasoning and analytical ability.
- Decision making and problem solving.
- General mental ability
- Elementary Mathematics upto Class X level- Arithmetic, Algebra, Geometry, and Statistics.
- General English up to Class X level.
- General Hindi up to Class X level.
Elementary Mathematics(Up to Class X level)
- Arithmetic:- (i) Number systems: Natural Numbers, Integers, Rational and Irrational numbers, Real numbers, Divisors of an Integer, prime Integers, L.C.M. and H.C.F. of integers and their Interrelationship.
(ii) Average (iii) Ratio and proportion (iv) Percentage (v) Profit and Loss (vi) Simple and Compound Interests (vii) Work and Time (viii) Speed, Time and Distance
- Algebra:- (i) Factors of polynomials, L.C.M. and H.C.F. of polynomials and their Interrelationship, Remainder theorem, simultaneous linear equations, quadratic equations. (ii) Set Theory:- Set null set, subsets and proper subsets of a set, operations (Union, Intersections, difference, symmetric difference) between sets, Venn diagram.
- Geometry:- (i) Constructions and theorems regarding triangle, rectangle, square, trapezium, and circles, their perimeter, and area. (ii) Volume and surface area of a sphere, right circular cylinder, right circular Cone, and Cube.
- Statistics:- Collection of data, Classification of data, frequency, frequency distribution, tabulation, cumulative frequency. Representation of data – Bar diagram, Pie chart, histogram, frequency polygon, cumulative frequency curves, Measures of Central tendency: Arithmetic Mean, Median, and Mode.
General English Upto Class X Level
2. Active Voice and Passive Voice
3. Parts of Speech
4. Transformation of Sentences
5. Direct and Indirect Speech
6. Punctuation and Spellings
7. Words meanings
8. Vocabulary & Usage
9. Idioms and Phrases
10. Fill in the Blanks
सामान्य हिन्दी (हाईस्कूल स्तर तक) के पाठ्यक्रम में सम्मिलित किये जाने वाले विषय
(1) हिन्दी वर्णमाला, विराम चिन्ह
(2) शब्द रचना, वाक्य रचना, अर्थ
(4) संधि, समास
(6) अनेकार्थी शब्द
(7) विलोम शब्द
(8) पर्यायवाची शब्द
(9) मुहावरे एवं लोकोक्तियां
(10) तत्सम एवं तद्भव, देषज, विदेशी (शब्द भंडार)
(13) हिन्दी भाषा के प्रयोग में होने वाली अशुद्धियां
(14) उ0प्र0 की मुख्य बोलियाँ
UPPCS Mains Exam syllabus
1) दिये हुए गद्य खण्ड का अवबोध एवं प्रश्नोत्तर।
(3) सरकारी एवं अर्धसरकारी पत्र लेखन, तार लेखन, कार्यालय आदेश, अधिसूचना, परिपत्र।
(4) शब्द ज्ञान एवं प्रयोग।
उपसर्ग एवं प्रत्यय प्रयोग
वाक्यांश के लिए एकशब्द
वर्तनी एवं वाक्य शुद्धि
(5) लोकोक्ति एवं मुहावरे।
Section A :
(1) Literature and Culture.
(2) Social sphere
(3) Political sphere.
(1) Science, Environment and Technology
(2) Economic Sphere
(3) Agriculture, Industry, and Trade
(1) National and International Events
(2) Natural Calamities, Land slide, Earthquake, Deluge, Drought, etc.
(3) National Development programs and projects.
General Studies I
1- History of Indian Culture will cover the salient aspects of Art Forms, literature and Architecture from ancient to modern times.
2- Modern Indian history (from A.D.1757 to A.D. 1947): Significant events, personalities and issues, etc.
3- The Freedom Struggle- its various stages and important contributors/contributions from different parts of the country.
4- Post-independence consolidation and reorganization within the country (till 1965A.D.).
5- History of the world will include events from 18th century to middle of the 20th century such as French revolution of 1789, industrial revolution, World Wars, redraw of national boundaries, Socialism, Nazism, Fascism etc-their forms and effect on the society.
6- Salient features of Indian Society and culture.
7- Role of Women in society and women’s organization, population and associated issues, poverty and developmental issues, urbanization, their problems and their remedies.
8- Meaning of liberalization, privatization and globalization and their effects on economy, polity and social structure.
9- Social empowernment, communalism, regionalism & secularism.
10- Distribution of major natural resources of World- Water, Soils, Forests in reference to South and South-East Asia with special reference to India. Factors responsible for the location of industries (with special reference to India).
11- Salient features of Physical Geography- Earthquake, Tsunami, Volcanic activity, Cyclone, Ocean Currents, winds and glaciers.
12- Oceanic resources of India and their potential.
13- Human migration-refugee problem of the World with focus on India.
14- Frontiers and boundaries with reference to Indian sub-continent.
15- Population and Settlements- Types and Patterns, Urbanization, Smart Cities and Smart Villages.
16- Specific knowledge of Uttar Pradesh – History, Culture, Art, Architecture, Festival, Folk-Dance, Literature, Regional Languages, Heritage, Social Customs and Tourism.
17- Specific knowledge of U.P.- Geography- Human and Natural Resources, Climate, Soils, Forest, Wild-Life, Mines and Minerals, Sources of Irrigation.
General Studies 2
1- Indian Constitution- historical underpinnings, evolution, features, amendments, significant provisions and basis structure, Role of Supreme Court in evolution of basic provisions of Constitution.
2- Functions and responsibilities of the Union and the States: issues and challenges pertaining to the federal structure, devolution of powers and finances up to local levels and challenges therein .
3- Role of Finance Commission in Centre- State financial relations.
4- Separation of powers, dispute redressal mechanisms and institutions. Emergence and use of alternative dispute redressal mechanisms.
5- Comparison of the Indian constitutional scheme with that of other major democratic countries.
6- Parliament and State legislatures- structure, functioning, conduct of business, powers and privileges and concerned issues.
7- Structure, organization and functioning of the Executive and the Judiciary: Ministries and Departments of the Government, Pressure groups and formal/informal associations and their role in the Polity. Public Interest Litigation (PIL).
8- Salient features of the Reperesentation of People’s Act.
9- Appointment to various Constitutional posts, Powers, functions and their responsibilities.
10- Statutory, regulatory and various quasi-judicial bodies including NITI Aayog, their features and functioning.
11- Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design, implementation and Information Communication Technology (ICT).
12- Development processes- the role of Non Governmental Organizations (NGOs), Self Help Groups (SHGs), various groups and associations, donors, charities, institutional and other stakeholders.
13- Welfare schemes for vulnerable sections of the population by the Centre and States and the performance of these schemes, mechanisms, laws, institutions and Bodies constituted for the protection and betterment of these vulnerable sections.
14- Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health, Education , Human Resources.
15- Issues relating to poverty and hunger, their implication on body politic.
16- Important aspects of governance. Transparency and accountability, e-governance applications, models, successes, limitations, and potential, citizens, charters and institutional measures.
17- Role of Civil Services in a democracy in the context of emerging trends.
18- India and its relationship with neighbouring Countries.
19- Bilateral, Regional and Global groupings and agreements involving India and/ or affecting India’s interest.
20- Effect of policies and politics of developed and developing countries on India’s interests- Indian diaspora.
21- Important International Institutions, Agencies their structure, mandate and functioning.
22- Specific knowledge of Uttar Pradesh regarding Political, Administrative, Revenue and Judicial System.
23- Current affairs and events of Regional, State, National and International importance.
General Studies III
1- Economic planning in India, objectives, and achievements. Role of NITI Aayog, Pursuit of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
2- Issues of Poverty, Unemployment, Social justice and inclusive growth.
3- Components of Government Budgets and Financial System.
4- Major Crops, Different types of irrigation and irrigation systems, storage, transport and marketing of agricultural produce, e-technology in the aid of farmers.
5- Issues related to direct and indirect farm subsidies and minimum support prices, Public Distribution System- objectives, functioning, Limitations, revamping, issues of buffer stocks and food security, Technology missions in agriculture.
6- Food processing and related industries in India- scope and significance, location, upstream and downstream requirements, supply chain management.
7- Land reforms in India since independence.
8- Effects of liberalization and globalization on the economy, changes in industrial policy and their effects on industrial growth.
9- Infrastructure: Energy, Ports, Roads,Airports, Railways etc.
10- Science and Technology-developments and applications in everyday life and in National Security, India’s Science and Technology policy.
11- Achievements of Indians in science & technology, indigenization of technology. Developments of New technologies, transfer of technology, dual and critical use technologies.
12- Awareness in the fields of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) and Space Technology, Computers, Energy resources, nano- technology, microbiology, biotechnology. Issues relating to intellectual property rights (IPR), and digital rights.
13- Environmental security and Ecosystems, Conservation of Wild life, Biodiversity, Environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact assessment,
14- Disaster as a Non-traditional security and safety challenge, disaster mitigation and management.
15- Challenges of International Security: Issues of Nuclear proliferation, Causes and spread of extremism, Communication networks, role of media and social networking, Basics of cyber security, money laundering and human trafficking.
16- India’s internal security challenges: Terrorism, corruption, insurgency and organized crimes.
17- Role, kind and mandate of security forces, Higher defense organizations in India
18- Specific knowledge of Uttar Pradesh Economy:-
- Overview of UP Economy: State Budgets. Importance of Agriculture, Industry, Infrastructure and physical resources. Human Resources and Skill development. Government Programmes and Welfare Schemes.
19- Issues inAgriculture, Horticulture, Forestry andAnimal Husbandry.
20- Law and Order and Civil Defence with special reference to U.P.
General Studies IV
1. Ethics and Human Interface: Essence, determinants and consequences of Ethics in human action, dimensions of ethics, ethics in private and public relationships. Human Values-lessons from the lives and teachings of great leaders, reformers and administrators, role of family, society and educational institutions in inculcating values.
2. Attitude: Content, structure, function, its influence and relation with thought and behavior, moral and political attitudes, social influence and persuasion.
3. Aptitude and foundational values for Civil Service, integrity, impartiality and nonpartisanship, objectivity, dedication to public services, empathy, tolerance, and compassion towards the weaker sections.
Emotional Intelligence- concept and dimensions, its utility and application in administration and governance.
4. Contributions of moral thinkers and philosophers from India and the world.
5. Public/Civil Service Values and ethics in Public Administration: status and problems, ethical concerns and dilemmas in government and private institutions, laws, rules, regulations and conscience as sources of ethical guidance, accountability and ethical governance, strengthening of moral values in governance, ethical issues in international relations and funding, corporate governance.
6. Probity in Governance: concept of public service, philosophical basis of governance and probity, information sharing and transparency in government. Right to Information, codes of ethics, codes of conduct, citizen’s charter, work culture, quality of service delivery, utilization of public funds, challenges of corruption.
7. Case studies on above issues.
Join FB Page
Join Telegram Channel
UPPSC official website
1 thought on “UPPSC Syllabus and exam pattern | PCS Syllabus”
Pingback: UPSC CSE Exam Pattern - Sarkari Result Details
Comments are closed.